DISCRIMINATION OF VETERANS FOR PROMOTIONS

Issues on Benefits

Moderator: bilbo37

sadler

DISCRIMINATION OF VETERANS FOR PROMOTIONS

Postby sadler » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:02 pm

When will the Postal Service stop discriminating against veterans that qualify for promotion. Especially since I was just informed that 34 years of government service and being in mnagement for 21 years means nothing. Here is a veteran from 1973, 51 years old and coached and developed the 33 year female who has been in management for about 5 years and has maybe 9 years of service. Lost out on another job even after I documented that I was better qualified. They need to change Title 38 section 4214 to state that qualified veterans MUST be promoted and given preference. I'm sick of the good old boy, girl system.

chessmaster315

Postby chessmaster315 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:23 am

Veterans "Preference" is not really a law..it is a political gimmick. The supervisor can override veterans "Preference" if he or she chooses to do so, since no two people are ever alike with exactly the same qualifications. It does make it a bit more complex if the supervisor passes over 3 qualified Veterans and hires an unqualified non Veteran, but that is about it. Filing anything will just alienate you and accomplish nothing. They will just show some other reason they hired a non Vet..We need a law with teeth, the present law is just "gums"
A really good example of this is right inside the VA itself. They have people who make a living on just explaining to supervisors how to get around the complex Veterans preference and still be able to beat a discrimination appeal.
One way they do this is they dont list a job opening, but rather list it as a "promotion" announcement". That way, they dont have to do anything, just offer the "promotion" to whom they see fit..Vet or non Vet, because there is this huge "hole" in the law rendering it to be totally ineffective and unenforceable. This has the net effect of making civilians within the VA have priority over Veterans. By doing it this way, the VA keeps the Veteran employees at a minimum so they can keep on shafting Vets like they do now. [/code]

specialopsvet30

Postby specialopsvet30 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:05 pm

There was a lady in arkansas that worked for the post office and the samw thing happened to her. I't showed in the paper were she sued them in court and finally after it went to the suprem court they ruled in her favor and she won several million off of them. You do have choices and you can always sue them for discrimination agaist a disabled veteran like she did. Believe me i know what your going through. My brother got past over for a post masters job 2 different times and he was better qualified. He finally hired a lawyer and he got the next post master's job that came available so he wouldn't sue them.

Return to “Benefits”