Please help upgrade discharge status!

Issues on Benefits

Moderator: bilbo37

JuBoo

Please help upgrade discharge status!

Postby JuBoo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:58 am

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: I just read and article http://www.veteranstoday.com/article4307.html stating that is was illegal for someone to be discharged with "Other than Honorable" status on the basis of a UA. It said they could be discharged but their status would have to be based on their service history. My husband along with 31 other people were discharged from the Navy in 1992 after serving in the Persian Gulf War on the USS Missouri. The ship was being decommissioned and everyone placed elsewhere, him and large group of people were given UA's and anyone that failed was discharged with "other than honorable under honorable conditions" stripping them of all their medals and benefits. My mother-in-law tells of a letter she had received from his Commanding Officer prior to this, telling her what a great sailor he was, so based on his service record, he was considered "outstanding". Therefore, the only thing he had negative was the UA. Please, please help me in getting his record cleared. He served with the Navy for 30 months with only 6 months left. He has some wonderful stories, but to think he risk his life for our country and all he got was boot is heartbreaking. The thing he hates the most is his inability to reenlist. When the Twin towers were bombed he sat glued to the TV for weeks - I know he hoping to hear they were being called back up (of course to recommission the Missouri.. haha). At one time I filled out a form trying to get it upgraded but all I had was his story. It wasn't until later that I heard about the letter, but I still haven't seen it. If anyone know of agencies that can help me with the process, or knew my husband (Bobby Boucher, yeah that's his name, on the USS Missouri during and prior to the Persian Gulf war) that could sign a statement concerning his service history, any help would be truly appreciated. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

bilbo37

Postby bilbo37 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:28 am

Welcome to the forum..

As for getting an upgrade for your hubby's discharge, you will have to start compiling a lot of information. As in his service record, showing what he had done and any letters of commendation..

Though you will have to keep in mind that you will have to find out what they say that he was taking at the time of the UA. Though I think that you will have to look around for a VA rep that will be able to help you out.

Good luck.

Bilbo
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country. Calvin Coolidge Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Return to “Benefits”