Ribbon

All Things Vietnam...........

Moderator: bilbo37

ADA

Ribbon

Postby ADA » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:31 pm

Can anyone tell me if there were any type of ribbons, commendation, (I really don't want to say medals) etc, issued for Vietnam Era Veterans? I can't seem to find any information on the subject anywhere. Hoping someone here can help. Thanks in advance.

gmg
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby gmg » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:25 am

[size=0].[/size]
To the best of my knowledge, and as I get older that gets more unreliable, I don`t think there is a ribbon for just having been on active duty during the conflict years. I think you had to have been in-country to receive whatever that was they gave us -- campaign ribbon; service ribbon, I actually can`t remember now.

We have a thread here someplace about the Cold War ribbon and one of our folks gave me an update on that and I`m afraid as I type this I can`t even remember what that update was (positive or negative), and I just read that a few days or so ago. I`m getting pretty useless, aren`t I?

Point is, if someone were on active duty during the Nam years they would certainly be eligible for the Cold War ribbon -- if I could just remember if it was approved. Oh yes, and that individual would have had to be discharged with the honorable discharge paper. I seem to remember there was another kind of discharge that was not dishonorable, but I don`t know if that would count. General discharge, maybe? I remember some folks being discharged for some such thing like for the good of the service, but not getting a dishonorable paper. Had a lot of draftees in those days that really wanted to get out. Get away from the Green Machine they used to say.

Uh oh, there`s another problem with us old folks (some, that is) we go on and on and on and then you forget what the original topic was. I better stop, right?

[size=0].[/size]
Freedom isn't free!

ssgmike

Re: Ribbon

Postby ssgmike » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:36 pm

ADA wrote:Can anyone tell me if there were any type of ribbons, commendation, (I really don't want to say medals) etc, issued for Vietnam Era Veterans? I can't seem to find any information on the subject anywhere. Hoping someone here can help. Thanks in advance.

best place to find this out is at

http://www.usmedals.com/default.aspx?res=1536

As a Veteran you can submit an SF180 to obtain copies of your records, request a DD215 for update of your records and also request a one time replacement at n/c of all your past military awards.

There also are Commemoratives medals you can order
SSGMike.Ivy Vietnam Veteran Combat Wounded Veteran D Company 3/8th 4th Infantry Division U.S.Army Retired

Return to “Vietnam”