FILL VA PRESCRIPTIONS AT LOW-COST RETAILERS

Complaints, Issues, and Concerns about the Veterans Administration Hospitals.

Moderator: bilbo37

larrchatt

FILL VA PRESCRIPTIONS AT LOW-COST RETAILERS

Postby larrchatt » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:58 am

I got this bit of information from Larry Scott’s web page at VA Watchdog dot Org and from that web page I found Veteran’s Today, but here is my Question.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.vawatchdog.org/nfDEC06/nf121206-6.htm

VETERANS MAY NOW FILL VA PRESCRIPTIONS AT LOW-COST RETAILERS

VA doctors can now write prescriptions that can be filled at non-VA pharmacies. Vets can save on co-pays by having prescriptions filled at Wal-Mart, Target and other discounters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone tried to get a doctor to write out a script? “ I don’t think they can “ BUT I did read that a VA ER doctor could write one but I don’t know. The only kind of medication that you can save on is the generic type in order to get it for $4.00 for a 30-day supply where at the VA you pay $8 and now there are some retailers that charge $10 for a 90-day supply.

I go to the John Dingell VA hospital in Detroit for my health care and get my medications there and being on a fixed income, having half of my 10 medications filled generic would save me a lot, but its like pulling teeth to get an answer as to how do you get a doctor to write out a script. Last week I went on the Kroger Grocery store web page and sent them a email for the pharmacy asking if they could contact the VA and work out a way to be able to fill generic medications and I’m waiting on some sort of answer from them. Most of the information I find is almost 2 years old and it’s as if the whole thing just got dropped. It’s just too bad that the VA couldn’t just charge the same as the retailers do and stay current with the times but asking that would be a major deal.

Larry

Return to “VA Hospital Issues”